Comments in-line

From: dmarc [mailto:dmarc-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Murray S. Kucherawy
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 3:53 PM
To: Alessandro Vesely
Cc: Kurt Andersen (b); DMARC; Barry Leiba
Subject: [!!Mass Mail]Re: [dmarc-ietf] Proposal to adopt ARC documents into the
WG (toward phase 2 milestone)

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Alessandro Vesely
<ves...@tana.it<mailto:ves...@tana.it>> wrote:
> Does anyone object to having the DMARC working group take on this work?

I agree with Alessandro, but for procedural reasons: I'm not sure it fits
within our present charter.

The charter enumerates three tracks, the first of which appears to allow
discussion of new protocols; in particular, one might argue that ARC is a "form
of DKIM signature that is better able to survive transit through
intermediaries".  However, in the second track, it says "The working group will
not develop additional mail authentication technologies, but may document
authentication requirements that are desirable", and there are chunks of ARC
that are clearly new.  (Having now implemented ARC, I can attest that there was
enough new code needed that I would call it "new".)
MH: To the extent that ARC informs local policy under DMARC, I support the
group taking it on. My personal stance is that p=reject means just that but I
recognize that there are folks who can’t get control of their mail streams or
there are corner cases such as mailing lists which for historical reasons do
not wish to change how they function.
Absent a desire to form a distinct working group to develop ARC, I think we
need to discuss rechartering before we can entertain this motion.

MH: If we need to re-charter then I think we should re-charter. There are
already implementations of ARC and there appears to be sufficient support to
justify the effort.

> Does anyone object to using the two documents above as starting points
> for that work?

Modulo the first question, no.

MH: +1

ARC, as currently documented and conceived, aims at "a more nuanced
interpretation to guide any local policies related to messages that arrive with
broken domain authentication (DMARC)."  It does not propose any DMARC
improvement, let alone phase 2 milestone.

It proposes to provide a new authentication method that can more accurately
reflect the "true" (for some value thereof) authenticity of a message, allowing
DMARC to behave more accurately.  How is that not an improvement?  DMARC was
meant to be extensible to better authentication methods as they appear, and
this is an instance of such.

MH: This is not an extension of DMARC itself. It leverages a DKIM like signing
approach to provide additional data points to validators wishing to implement
local policy in a more informed manner. This is a nuanced but important
difference unless someone is suggesting munging ARC into DMARC itself.

Unless ARC commits to a purpose congenial with DMARC's charter, I'd find it
objectionable for this WG to take on its work.

> Does anyone have an alternative proposal?

The "least broken" proposal for phase 2 seems to be dkim-conditional.  It
emerged as an originator protocol, so it can develop without muddying ARC.

I have an unreleased implementation of that.  It also more easily qualifies
under our charter, IMHO.  I think we should at least allow discussion of that
one.
MH: I thought running code was one of the criteria. Dkim-conditional never got
significant support. I’m not against it per se but unless there is a compelling
reason I prefer to avoid re-visiting old ground.
Mike