On 11/12/2016 22:50, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> I've posted a draft that attempts to address an attack that's begun to
> appear with DKIM.  Interestingly, we called it out as a possible
> attack in RFC6376 and even RFC4871, but now it's apparently happening
> and being annoying enough that people (I believe from the MAAWG
> community) are asking if there's a protocol solution that's possible.
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kucherawy-dkim-rcpts/
>
> Comments welcome.

Thanks for codifying this proposal Murray.

So per Section 5, this form of DKIM signature will fail to verify at a
receiver who doesn't implement the new feature, period. And in fact any
forwarding - whether it alters the RFC5322 message or not - would
produce a DKIM verification failure at the next/final recipient.

The language in Section 5 paragraph 3 seems to cover envelope splitting.
Should this be expanded to address origin ADMD infrastructure such as
split signer/MTA, analogous to the note about split MTA/verifier at the
receiving ADMD in paragraph 4?

Are there any usage guidelines or recommendations about how and when to
use the new signing feature that I missed? For example is there another
draft, or a thread in a different forum/list, that speaks to this? If it
doesn't exist, do we need to create one? (Ulp - did I just volunteer?)

I'd be curious to get feedback from folks who aren't enamored of ARC,
but understand the motivating abuse...

Thanks,
--Steve.