 On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
 wrote:

> So evidently we've got a conflict between what A-R was intended to be used
> for, and an apparent need to create a channel between ARC and DMARC to
> relay stuff like selectors and source IP addresses.  If consensus exists
> that the need is real and in scope for this WG, we either need to come to
> consensus on allowing feature creep of A-R, or come up with another way to
> meet that need.
>
> With respect to the source IP in particular, we had that battle all the
> way up to a formal appeal to the IESG and that too was resolved with a
> decision that such details weren't appropriate for A-R.  This resulted in
> what is now Appendix C of RFC7601, and the client IP address was left out.
>
> Also, assuming you're referring to the ARC base draft, I don't agree that
> "with the least delta to the spec" is a legitimate constraint here.

As I see it, there are two possible approaches to address this dilemma:
1) Include the additional information in the AAR which is wanted downstream
for a DMARC report to be emitted from a receiver N hops away - this
requires additional fields to the basic RFC7601 A-R spec
2) Create a fourth member of the ARC set of headers to convey this
additional information (this is partially was was proposed with the
Origin-IP header, but not fleshed out enough to be really useful in an
unlimited number of hops scenario).

I'm somewhat opposed to creating a fourth member for an ARCset because I
think that increases the fragility of the chain, but, OTOH, it may be an
easier delta for new implementers than creating a basic A-R and an
"enhanced" version to post as the AAR. I'm definitely opposed to making
these fields *required* because that would require ARC validation to parse
the AAR (or fourth header) to determine validity and we've tried to stay
away from that (leaving it to the report generating code to have to worry
about AAR contents).

--Kurt