On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Kurt Andersen <ku...@drkurt.com> wrote:

> So I was able to retrace our design steps which led to the 3-piece model
> (AAR + AMS + AS) and the reasoning for the AS, signing just the ARC header
> sequence was to provide the verifiable chain of custody trace (though, of
> course, only from participating intermediaries). Some of the recent tweaks
> to the spec to deal with malformed sets of ARC header fields have weakened
> that original idea.
>
> In keeping with Bron's general idea to simplify, I'd suggest that having
> an AAR + [optional AMS] + AS would be a close approach for handling steps
> which do not break the ingress signature. Skipping the AMS would be a sign
> to downstream intermediaries that the prior DKIM or AMS was still valid
> upon egress. (certain details would have to be worked out)
>
> Does that help the conversation?

No, I think this is a huge step in the wrong direction.

Right now, we've got deployed code that we know works and improves the
landscape. Everything else is - rightly or wrongly - conjecture.

Let's keep the tech stable and move to experimentation.

If anything, this is an excellent question for receivers - when evaluating
AMS/AS, were there any situations where you required both signatures to
truly validate a chain and make a delivery decision, or with the added ARC
payload is now just having one sufficient?

Seth