On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 6:25 PM, Bron Gondwana <br...@fastmailteam.com>
wrote:

> Right - so how exactly does that help, given that you've modified the
> message since then?  You could easily change the message-id at the same
> time.  If the original DKIM-Signature still passes then sure, you can't
> modify anything.  But then you don't need ARC anyway.
>
> If the DKIM signature allowed you to tell that some of the protected
> headers were unchanged while allowing others to change, then it would mean
> something - but the whole point of ARC is for when DKIM doesn't validate
> any more, and if DKIM doesn't validate any more then the message-id can be
> spoofed too.

Do we think there's any utility to adding more message info to the AS, such
as message-id?

We originally tried to keep them very separate, but we could combine the AS
with the concepts of the "weak DKIM" signature we talked about a while back.

It equally doesn't prevent any individual attack, but perhaps there are
other benefits in aggregate.

I could also easily imagine some utility for having AMS include the z= DKIM
tag, though this may get into the weeds of what can be used
programmatically to determine spamminess/reuse vs expert user forensics
after the fact.

Brandon