While John Levine cited the benefits of the "experimental" approach taken for EAI (https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/gvUecJuYLT9GIh5zbcZ_U9CgNkw), I'm also biased by the "let's all just play nice" mess that came from designating incompatible "versions" of SPF as competing experiments (see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6686 for the eventual outcome of that six year long experiment).

I think that any protocol which has not already been widely implemented is, in some sense, experimental - if you are looking at it from the perspective of hind-sight, you might have done some things differently/more efficiently/etc. One might not have called IPv6 "IP"-anything or may have chosen a longer address space for IPv4 for instance.

Both of the above examples demonstrate a corrupted use of the term, pretty much rendering it useless. Such a rendering does not seem very helpful to the community, not does it reflect the intent of the label.

Here's some text that I think points in a more constructive direction:

     https://www.ietf.org/iesg/informational-vs-experimental.html

"If the IETF may publish something based on this on the standards track once we know how well this one works, it's Experimental."

There have been some very specific descriptions of focused concern for fragility and interactions about ARC. Those are what justify Experimental. There needs to be explicit documentation of those concerns and suggestions for measuring ARC performance to assess the field experiences with regard to those concerns.

I offered examples of these earlier:

     ARC Experimental goals
     https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dmarc/current/msg03812.html

In an earlier note, I also noted:

     ARC RFC status to target
     https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dmarc/current/msg03707.html
"Having intermediaries signing thing and having receivers base delivery and labeling decisions on those signatures is new and, I think, significantly different that doing that for SPF or DKIM. Who should sign and when isn't yet well understood. How those signatures should get evaluated by receiving filtering engines also is not yet well-understood."

     Re: [dmarc-ietf] ARC RFC status to target
"From that perspective, I suspect a good target for marking readiness for standardization is the ability of the community to produce an experience-based BCP about ARC Use."

     ARC RFC status to target
     https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dmarc/current/msg03730.html

Re: [dmarc-ietf] Question for Thursday's meeting consideration: extending DMARC DNS record to cover ARC
     https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dmarc/current/msg03789.html
"ARC is an underlying authentication mechanism that calls for a new assessment mechanism, since the role of the authenticated entity is different than the entities currently being assessed by filtering engines. "

So...

These were offered to explain the significant reasons this specification is not likely to be well-understood at initial deployment but is likely to raise significant operational challenges. And they offered a basis for evaluating initial use, to determine efficacy.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking