On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 9:03 AM Alvaro Retana <aretana.i...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-dmarc-rfc7601bis-04: No Objection

> COMMENT:
>
> I don't understand why this document is tagged as an Update to RFC7601 and
> not
> as Obsoleting it.  This change was made between the -03 (which was the one
> in
> the IETF LC) and the -04 (current) versions.

There are some things in this document that are not copied from RFC7601,
which means obsoleting RFC7601 rather than updating it would leave various
IANA registry entries pointing at a dead document.

I note that this point was brought up during both the AD Review [1] and the
> IETF LC [2], which is why I'm not balloting DISCUSS.  However, I think
> that the
> solution (Updating instead of Obsoleting) is not the correct one.

The change to "Updates" rather than "Obsoletes" was done as a result of
those same review comments, most notably the second citation you offered.

-MSK