On 6/12/20 10:49 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
> Hi Alessandro,
>
> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020, at 5:51 PM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri 12/Jun/2020 18:09:41 +0200 Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>>> On behalf of DMARC chairs I would like to ask for volunteers to edit future
>>> revisions of draft-kucherawy-dmarc-dmarcbis. We are likely to split up the
>>> current document into multiple drafts that can be progressed in parallel,
>>> so we are seeking multiple editors to help with this.
>>
>> Is it already defined which and how many I-Ds will the WG do?
> We (chairs) only had a preliminary discussion. I think at least 3 (aggregated
> reports, failure reports, the rest).

About a year ago, I had suggested [1] that the reporting and policy
mechanisms of DMARC be split, and was, I think, the only one supporting
that idea. There were quite a few comments along the line of, "it's not
broken, so why should we go to the trouble?"

Although you have only had a preliminary discussion, do you have in mind
an editorial split (different functional pieces, but DMARC is still one
thing) or an actual split into separate specifications?

Someone (not sure who) said in yesterday's interim that DMARC could run
into trouble in IETF Last Call or in IESG review because of the breakage
to mailing lists, etc. If we had independent specifications, at least
the reporting pieces could proceed. So I (still) support the split.

-Jim

[1] https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/HJwOvLspQKo-_GuW7W9xZPvv370/