On 6/23/2020 2:49 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

The would produce obvious possibilities:

    From: someone@goodplace.example
    Sender: someone@goodplace.example

and

    From: somone@goodplace.example
    Sender: some...@mlm.example.com

where there might be a dmarc record for mlm.example.com

This still presents the unsolved 3rd Party Signature (3PS) authorization concept again. The problem has always been since Day 1, "Does goodplace.example authorized mlm.example.com to be a resigner on its behalf?"

The modification to DMARC would be "look for Sender: and if it isn't
present, look for From:.

Doesn't solve the 3PS problem. Do you know how ATPS worked? It works like this:

googleplace.example will create a DNS lookup record representing mlm.example.com. The ATPS algorithm for the DNS record is:

base32(sha1(SIGNER-DOMAIN))._atps.example.com

So for this example, a DMARC extension tag "atps=1" is added to goodplace.example DMARC record, telling verifiers to test for ATPS 3rd party signers. The zone node record will be (in MS DNS format)

6f4dvf2bygvf6zkq6kiktk53oajhfvhe._atps TXT ("v=atps01; d=mlm.example.com;")

Now the 3rd party is authorized deterministically, and if we did this with the Signer Domain, which I presume would be mlm.example.com then the same ATPS record will apply and the verifier does not have to deal with the 5322.Sender header.

Obviously, mlm.example.com might instead be badactor.example.com.

but we already have to deal with cousin domains, and DMARC does
nothing about them.

Well, there would not be any 1st party authorization for the 3rd party "badactor.example.com" so for restrictive DMARC records, it would be a highly detectable deviation of the experted norm offering a negative classification, i.e. rejection or quarantine.

So if Sender: wouldn't be as useful as From:, why not?

Because we still do not have protocol that can test the assertion that the 3rd party Sender is authorized by the 1st party. It is the same problem.

--
Hector Santos,
https://secure.santronics.com