On Sun 19/Jul/2020 20:13:46 +0200 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 3:14 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

Still unresolved, IMHO, is Dave's point about whether the RFC5322.From
domain truly matters.

While the opinions of big players are relevant, you yourself mentioned that they tend to follow DMARC design. >

Sorry, I said what?

    Google strikes me as the kind of place that would make a decision
    about what to show users based on data, so I was wondering if they
    have any, because I seem to remember them talking about this back
    when DMARC was in development.
    [https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dmarc/P6-4mvdCrRVXEz6DQXGunBsRKqA/]

Brandon hasn't chimed in, yet. I Cc: him. I'd guess he can confirm that efforts to highlight the domain name in From: addresses, if any, are inspired, or at least encouraged, by DMARC development.

By hijacking From:, DMARC tweaked email core somewhat, for the good and the bad of it. We can either go ahead or retreat, a threat analysis being needed to make that decision.

Best