On 7/20/2020 3:05 PM, Jesse Thompson wrote:
On 7/19/20 1:33 PM,dcroc...@gmail.com  wrote:
The essential point that needs to be made is that standards like this MUST NOT
be cast in terms of what end users will do.  In practical terms, this work has
nothing to do with end users.  Really.  Nothing.

To the extent that anyone wants to make an affirmative claim that
end-users/are/  relevant to this work, they need to lay that case out clearly,
carefully, and with material that provides objective support.(*)
I'll take a shot (admittedly, I'm having trouble keeping up with all of the
points that have been made):

We're migrating 30,000 lists, of various types/use cases, from a MLM provider
that is DMARC-
** We have had many complaints from users about the From munging **

My wording was not careful enough.  What I /meant/ was: end-users are not relevant to the /trust-related decision making/ that is the goal of these protection mechanisms.

They certainly /are/ relevant to the sorting/searching/presentation issues that are disrupted by having mail authored by the same person contain different From: field data.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking