On Sat 15/Aug/2020 20:12:18 +0200 Dave Crocker wrote:> On 8/15/2020 3:32 AM, Alessandro Vesely wrote:

If X pretends to be Y,

If I put my gmail address into the from field, there is no pretending, no matter what platform I am using.

That conflicts with the coarse-grained authentication strategy, established at the FTC Email Authentication Summit in November 2004, as Doug recalled. Your gmail address needs to be authenticated by gmail. Sending From: bbiw.net, SPF-authenticated as dcrocker.net, and whitelisted as yet another domain (songbird.com) can hardly be verified. There is no "pretending", since it's you, but it is not formally distinguishable from spoof, is it?

This continuing practice of characterizing valid use as if it were spoofing or pretending has been a major impediment to constructive discussion in the industry.

A system that is able to recognize all your domains and affiliations in order to authenticate messages does cost several orders of magnitude more than a simple "mechanical" verifier. That way, requiring too much flexibility is a push toward oligopoly.

Of course, the alternative is to keep email as a casual, unreliable, unofficial means of communication. I'm not sure the latter is realistic, given current trends. Are we sticking our heads in the sand?

Best