On 11/23/2020 12:15 PM, Brandon Long wrote:
On Mon, Nov 23, 2020 at 11:53 AM Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com <mailto:dcroc...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > Yes, of course, a handling agent can do it, but there are plenty
    of reasons
    > why they shouldn't.

    Please enumerate and explain.  If it's that dangerous, we should
    document it, especially I don't recall that constraint being in
    any of
    the design or standardization discussions.

DKIM often ties a domain to reputation and other anti-spam features.  If you forward spam to another host and sign it while forwarding, then the other host
will think you send spam.

Well, ummm... errrr... yes.  That's because, in such circumstances, you do.

More significantly, the signature makes sure that such as an assessment will only be made accurately, rather than penalizing you for problematic mail that is attributed to you but that you did not handle.

DMARC ties DKIM to the From header and at least is interpreted as being an
anti-phishing feature.  DKIM signing mail that you forward could mean upgrading
a phishing message to passing DMARC.

I don't understand.  The first sentence makes sense to me, but the second doesn't.

"Upgrading...to passing DMARC only applies if a) the signature matches the From: field domain, and b) that domain has an associated DMARC record.  But if you don't watch DMARC to apply in that case, what is the DMARC record there fore?

This recent article also goes into things that DKIM signatures imply:
https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2020/11/16/ok-google-please-publish-your-dkim-secret-keys/ <https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2020/11/16/ok-google-please-publish-your-dkim-secret-keys/>

The level of condescension, ignorance, and error throughout that article is impressive.  Given that it was written by someone whose profession requires extreme care about complex matters, the level of carelessness in the article is especially unfortunate.

Conveniently, he put his biggest error in bold font:

     "*DKIM provides a life-long guarantee of email authenticity that anyone can use to cryptographically verify the authenticity of stolen emails, even years after they were sent."*

DKIM does no such thing.

and this was quickly followed by the normal-font:

   "The key design goal of DKIM was to prevent spammers from forging emails /while in transit/. "

This, too, is not what DKIM does.  DKIM provides a noise-free channel for assessing signers, not for detecting spammers.  The difference is important; and I claim fundamental.

ps. making sure that DKIM signature become invalid  relatively soon -- I think that removing the keys is simpler and just as effective as publishing the private keys -- seems like a reasonable suggestion.

**

Perhaps this all means that DKIM has been used for more than it was intended for.

"More than" suggests that the use has legitimacy.  It doesn't.

    >      > Intermediaries don't want to take ownership of the
    message in that
    >      > sense, though there
    >      > are some mailing lists that do.
    >
    >     Signing with DKIM does not take 'ownership'.
    >

    > Yes, responsibility is the proper word.  My point survives the
    word change.

    I disagree.

    > DKIM says the domain takes responsibility for the message, while
    ARC says
    > the domain takes responsibility for evaluating the status of the
    message
    > when
    > they received and forwarded it.

    This implies that the word 'some' is irrelevant.  It isn't. And it
    was
    included intentionally.

Automated systems can't really tell how much responsibility an intermediary was
intending to take for the message.

People who write them can.

OTOH, they typically are using it only for a certain
purpose, so they assume that the intermediary took responsibility in the sense that they want... or rather, the people who wrote the code do.  Or the journalist writing the story.

ARC was specified to have a more specific responsibility,

Forgive me but I think that:

    Authenticated Received Chain (ARC) creates a mechanism for individual
    Internet Mail Handlers to add their authentication assessment to a
    message's ordered set of handling results.

specifies a nature and responsibility pretty much identical to what DKIM claims.  The enhancements are a) chaining, and b) carriage of earlier assessments.  But in terms of 'responsibility', this reads the same as DKIM.

and as different from DKIM so
that it wasn't mistaken for the uses that people were already using DKIM for.
Oh?

d/

--
Dave Crocker