On 11/23/2020 2:42 PM, John R Levine wrote:
Forgive me but I believe misbehavior by mailing lists has never been meaningfully documented for this work.  Quite the contrary.

I believe that Brandon has specifically said that Gmail sees this problem and that is why whitelisting mail from mailing lists isn't adequate.

And that constitute "meaningfully document[ing]"?

My point wasn't that it isn't a valid concern, but that it was not explicitly stated as the motivation. Again:

ARC deals with the problem that most list software forwards everything
with a subscriber's address on the From: line and does a lousy job of
spam filtering.
offers a characterization of mailing lists that hasn't been documented.

And, again, when ARC work was pursued, I don't recall anyone claiming that mailing lists were (significant) sources of misbehavior.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
dcroc...@gmail.com