Michael, I think the purpose is stated well enough:   Mailing lists want to
keep adding their content to messages, without being blocked by
recipients.   This means that they have to provide recipients with enough
information for them to accept the forwarded content.   Google and
Microsoft seem to be on-board with this project, so it seems pretty
successful already.   This train is not easily stopped.

As to the technical pieces:
- Unvalidated data, which includes the entire Received header chain, is
only useful for blacklisting.   A spammer will fabricate any header content
that he thinks will get his garbage through your spam filter.

- The recipient filter needs to be convinced that the submitting MTA is not
lying and that the submitting MTA has not been duped.   Digital signatures
are the only tool we have for validating forwarded content.   Since the
goal is favorable treatment, digital signatures are necessary.

- Interlocking signatures are needed to get around the problem of DKIM
signatures being damaged by mid-stream content changes.

As John said early on, this all works in conjunction with private knowledge
that decides who you believe is not lying.   Google and Microsoft have that
kind of data.

In my opinion, ARC does leave a lot of unanswered questions about how you
use the data that ARC provides.   Again, the big organizations have the
brain power at their disposal to figure that out for themselves, later.

It seems like a lot of software logic to create an ARC set, even more code
to parse it, and even more code to use it intelligently.   This is a big
problem if you are trying to write the code yourself, but a small problem
if you have a big programming organization.

The email market is moving to a few large organizations that provide
hosting for most everyone, a few other large cloud services that provide
filtering for much of the remainder, and then everybody else.   Smaller
organizations are stuck with lousy vendor options or custom development,
neither of which is entirely satisfactory.   ARC may not be the right
solution for smaller organizations with fewer development resources, but
80% of the world needs the big organizations to be successful, and the
mailing lists need the big organizations to be accepting of their product.
 ARC seems to meet those important goals.

Doug Foster