On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 2:27 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 12/8/20 4:51 PM, Brandon Long wrote:
>

> On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 8:31 PM John R Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 7 Dec 2020, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> > The original intent back in RFC 5451 was to relay only those details
>> that
>> > an MUA might care about, such as the DKIM result (so you can display
>> > something representing a "pass" or "fail" on a message) and maybe the
>> > domain name found in a passing signature (an early shot at caring about
>> > alignment when rendering a message). ...
>>
>> I suppose but 5451 also says it might be useful to message filters.
>>

> Right, there are clearly MUAs that do some amount of spam filtering, so
> disposition
> of p=quarantine would seem to be useful for that.
>
> Is there any evidence for that though? I would assume that the folks on
> this list use a diverse set of MUA's and would be in a position to tell us
> if some of them do. I'm guessing by your statement that gmail doesn't do
> anything different.

Gmail does put messages with disposition quarantine into the spam label,
but we don't rely on the A-R header to pass that information from the smtp
transaction to the mailbox.

At least the Mac Apple Mail client did have a client-side spam filter,
looks like it probably still does:
https://support.apple.com/guide/mail/reduce-junk-mail-mlhlp1065/mac

Does it handle spf/dkim/dmarc in any way?  I don't know.

Brandon