On Tue 15/Dec/2020 04:26:03 +0100 Douglas Foster wrote:
Sorry about the confusion caused by my typing failures.
What I meant:
First party - From address aligns with SMTP address.  Can be validated with SPF or DKIM. Third party - From address and SMTP address are in different domains.  Can be validated with DKIM only.
I am open to suggestions for better nomenclature.

I'm neutral about the nomenclature.  However, the definitions lack something.

First party is clear.

Third party is not:

For a nit, albeit unusual, one can use a different bounce address, for any convenience reason. If SPF helo is aligned it is still a first party message.

There are other considerations that indicate a the presence and the quality of a third party, such as multiple DKIM signatures, and a Sender: field.

Then there are dumb forwarders, who neither sign nor modify messages, nor even the bounce addresses. Second parties? Hm... external aliases? Artifacts of email address portability?

But what I am trying to figure out is under what circumstances a DMARC policy can be considered actionable.   Do I conclude that "p=quarantine" means "domain is still collecting data, so results are unpredictable"?   Or do I conclude that it means "Domain is fully deployed and failure to validate is a highly suspicious event?"

I think quarantine is not necessarily an intermediate step. It is adequate for human mail, where one is not equipped to resend in case of reject. It doesn't cover first/third party differences. I wish there was an intermediate policy, call it p=mlm-validate, that directs a third party to reject if not authenticated, while final recipients can accept it as if p=none.

Best