I just scanned through DMARC and I couldn't find any security requirements/mechanisms for the failure reports. I would think at the very least the receiver consuming the reports ought make certain that the report at the very least have either a valid DKIM signature or a SPF pass. Unauthenticated data is always the source of mischief, and I'm sure that there have to be attacks that are possible with unauthenticated reports. At the very least this should be a security consideration, and most likely should have some normative language to back it up.

Since I'm sort of new, it's been unclear to me whether whether having a new https transport mechanism is in scope or not -- it seems to come up pretty often -- but I'm not sure how people would propose to authenticate the report sending client. That seems to me to be a basic security requirement for any new delivery method. The problem here is there isn't a client certificate to determine where the report is coming from or any other identifying mechanism. An alternative might be to DKIM sign the report itself, but the long and short is that it would need to be addressed.

Mike