On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM John R Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> Which of these should we do:
>
> A) Everyone in the world who produces failure reports adds special cases
> to look for incoming failure reports, and heuristics to try and recognize
> failure reports in the wrong format, and when it finds one of them, it
> makes a note not to send a failure report about it.
>
> B) Someone slaps me upside the head and I fix my SPF record so my reports
> are sent correctly.

I'm suggesting:

C) Stipulate somehow that generated reports should not contain data about
received reports.  (If you do that, then you likely obviate the need to
generate a new report back to that operator in the first place.)

This to me is almost exactly the same thing as saying "Don't generate a
bounce about a bounce", which has been part of SMTP for decades (it's a
SHOULD NOT in 2821).  I don't understand why you're saying it's appropriate
in one but a non-issue in the other.

-MSK