The SMTP address and the HELO name are very similar in their trust
characteristics.
Both of them can be manipulated maliciously, but both can be verified with
similar techniques:   Using a DNS lookup to associate the name
assertion with the Source IP.
(We all know that the Source IP can be manipulated with a NAT device
sitting outside a network perimeter, but we ignore that possibility.   If
it is happening, there are worse things than email verification occurring.)

We do know that Reverse DNS is often outside the control of the mail
domain, so it is actually a less reliable indicator of domain ownership
than Helo.

Overall, the SPF design seems very intuitive and defensible.
I think it is unrealistic to expect rapid implementation of DKIM signatures
on null-address messages, and HELO is a good substitute.  Nor does it seem
necessary.  I see no problem using HELO in my DMARC evaluations when the
SMTP address is null.

My data, cited previously, indicates that HELO can be useful for both
blacklisting and whitelisting.   It should not be ignored.

Doug Foster
.