On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 6:49 PM Michael Thomas <m...@mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 2/1/21 3:23 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
> > On 2/1/2021 3:21 PM, John Levine wrote:
> >> I find it hard to believe that if you are going to enough effort to
> >> maintain the data to create and send reports, you can't figure out how
> >> to install an SPF record for your reporting domain.
> >
> > Except that the tracking/reporting functions are completely separate
> > from the 'signing' side of DMARC and could easily be different parts
> > of a company.
> >
> > d/
> >
> It strains credulity that one part of a company would want to send out
> reports when some other can't even sign their email. Both need access to
> the email stream for starters.
>
> It doesn't strain my credulity at all. You are assuming a single mail
stream. I saw it at my own employer before we got centralized control of
DNS and implemented email authentication. I actually know of one company
where several hundred thousand dollars of marketing emails ended up not
getting through because a marketer thought they could evade corporate
policy and the ESP gladly took the money even though the mail was getting
rejected. It's a crazy world out there.

Michael Hammer