Circling back to this:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:56 PM Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/29/2021 12:15 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 7:51 AM Dave Crocker <dcroc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Abstract
>>
>>    DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
>>    Conformance) is a scalable mechanism by which a mail-originating
>>    organization can express domain-level policies and preferences for
>>    message validation, disposition, and reporting, that a mail-receiving
>>    organization can use to improve mail handling.  The design of DMARC
>>    presumes that domain names represent either nodes in the tree below
>>    which registrations occur, or nodes where registrations have
>>
>> DMARC does not have 'registrations'.
>>

> It's referring to domain name registrations, not DMARC registrations.
>
> Also the occur/occured contrast has no obvious meaning to me.  Really, I
>> have no idea what's intended by it.
>>
> "exist"?
> "take place"?
> "are made"?
> "are done"?
>
> The issue wasn't synonyms but semantics.  'registrations occurred' has no
> obvious DMARC meaning.
>
> unless, perhaps, the meaning is 'domain names exist', but that still
> doesn't explain the contrast being drawn.

I'm struggling to understand the concern here.  I think we all know what it
means to register a domain, and that the namespace is arranged as a tree,
and that trees are made up of nodes, and that some nodes are above the cut
where registrations take place while the rest are below.  What other
meaning might someone in this space infer from this text?

Maybe this is better, just for the sake of having something else to look at?

   DMARC (Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting, and
   Conformance) is a scalable mechanism by which a mail-originating
   organization can express domain-level policies and preferences for
   message validation, disposition, and reporting, that a mail-receiving
   organization can use to improve mail handling.  The design of DMARC
   presumes that domain names represent nodes in the DNS tree that are either
   reserved as points below which new domain name registrations are made, or are
   the results of those registrations; it does not permit a node to
have both of these
   properties simultaneously.  Since its deployment in 2015, use of
   DMARC has shown a clear need for the ability to express policy for
   these domains as well.

Apart from that, I'm at a loss to understand what's confusing.  I'm not
convinced that "registrations" in the context of domain names is unclear to
a reader familiar with this space.

-MSK