On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 4:54 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the SPF Policy lookup returns NXDOMAIN, then we are at a full stop with
> all the information needed to make a decision.   (The sender is violating
> ICANN name registration policies).   Ignoring NXDOMAIN and continuing to
> look for MX/A/AAAA is a waste of information and a waste of resources.

I agree.

But clearly, the norm in this group is to check MX/A/AAA because it seems
> likely to be a more powerful filter.   I wonder if that is actually true.

In the context of the code doing the SPF evaluation, I don't think it is.
If TXT returns NXDOMAIN for a name, so will any other type.  That's the
definition of NXDOMAIN; there are no data of any type for this name.  See
also RFC 8020.  Fortunately, a properly functioning local nameserver will
cache the answer and just repeat it when subsequent MX, A, or AAAA queries
get issued, so the waste is relatively cheap.

I imagine some DNS APIs are ambiguous (i.e., lazy) about reporting "That
name does not exist (rcode=NXDOMAIN)" differently from "That name exists,
but there's no record of the type you requested (rcode=NOERROR,
ancount=0)", which can result in some wasted time, but I expect the end
result would be the same.

1)  A/AAAA is a pretty weak test, since many domains have A/AAAA records on
> the domain name for web purposes.

Independently of SPF, it's not a weak test since the standards allow
exactly this kind of setup for a domain that wants to receive mail.  Again,
Section 5.1 of RFC 5321.

I do respond to SPF NONE by applying a best-guess SPF policy which includes
> MX and A, and sometimes produces SPF PASS.   But I no longer do that for
> non-existent domains.

"Best guess SPF" is discouraged.  See
http://www.open-spf.org/FAQ/Best_guess_record/.

-MSK