On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 1:50 PM Dotzero <dotz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm troubled by this whole section. Unless IETF is getting into the
> certification or enforcement business, documenting anything about
> "implementation claims" would seem to be a non-starter. Do we have any
> similar requirements for "claims" about implementing SMTP, DNS or other
> standards? We should stick to the normative requirements for
> interoperability and avoid dealing with "claims". Folks who implement
> poorly will get an earful from both their mail users and the folks they
> interoperate with and that should be sufficient.
>
> This really does seem like pushing on a rope.

I could see specifying the minimum implementation needed to interoperate in
a useful way, if it's necessary to do so in a summary section.  Of course,
one should be able to glean that from the collection of MUSTs and SHOULDs
in the document anyway, but summaries can be helpful.

I should add to my other remarks that I don't think it's a bad idea to
spend some text in the document describing how valuable we think generating
reports is, and that we think it's a really good idea to find some way to
participate because the intelligence it provides can be valuable, etc.  I
just don't think a mandate is defensible.

-MSK, continuing hatless