As Scott eloquently said, we are not the Internet Police.    We need to
produce a document that responds to RFC 7960 in the context of DMARCbis.
The best that we can do is lay out the options, and let the senders, list
operators, and receivers make their choices.   We need to move away from
fault-finding and SHOULDs, and simply lay out the best options that we can
construct.

I submit my recent treatise as the basic outline of that document, simply
because the options seem inherently comprehensive:
- Never rewrite From
- Always rewrite From if the sender policy risks possible delivery failures.
- Conditionally rewrite From if the sender-receiver combination makes it
necessary because whitelisting status is not granted or not known.

All of these options need to be presented well, which means that they
need to be presented by someone who can advocate for that option.
Baptiste, you should write the case for never rewriting.    Any of the
long-term participants should be able to write the case for always
rewriting and how to do the rewriting.   I have more to add about the case
for conditional rewrite, but the group has my first draft.

To my understanding, ARC, Sender, and Author proposals are variant ways to
obtain whitelisting status with the evaluator, and that these only work if
(a) the list has feedback that the method will work for a particular domain
and (b) the list is able to handle different domains differently.   We need
advocates to explain how these options provide the most effective way to
obtain whitelisting status.

What we like or dislike is irrelevant.   Difficulty of implementation does
not matter.  Both are judgement calls to be made by the implementer.   Our
role is to ensure that they understand their options, along with the
advantages and disadvantages of each.

Not giving up my opinions, but I am giving up the idea that only one
opinion can survive.   Let's  get the options documented.

Doug Foster