About your proposal to encourage silent discard:   I'm sorry that we have
not provided any feedback.    Feeling ignored or shunned by the group is
worse than having an idea rejected.   For my part, I am a skeptic of your
proposal.

The best outcome would be for the evaluator to perform all operations
before releasing the SMTP session, so that rejection can be handled with an
SMTP result code and extended status code, rather than with a non-delivery
report.   The RFC provides for sessions to remain open a long time so that
this can be done.   If I remember correctly, the rule is 5 minutes to
evaluate MAIL FROM and 10 minutes to evaluate END OF DATA.  I suppose that
many sending systems ignore this rule and timeout more quickly, so really
long evaluation processes run the risk of communication breakdowns.
 Nonetheless, if the evaluation can be completed in one step, you do not
have the flood of non-delivery reports which cause your concern.
Unfortunately, a lot of email configurations use a pipeline process which
makes this behavior difficult to achieve.

I am actually surprised that you have a problem with too many NDRs.   When
I judge a message source to be unwanted or a threat, I don't want to help
them, so I don't currently send NDRs.   Sometimes that is a problem,
because an important correspondent does not realize that an email address
was typed incorrectly so his message was discarded.   But notifying
malicious senders about invalid addresses helps them to do address
harvesting.

For those that do send NDRs, the point of the message is to help both of
you.   If your mailing list message is being blocked because it
fails DMARC, you should do From-rewriting or drop the recipient to fix the
problem.    If I don't want your messages for other reasons, my preferred
outcome is for you to stop sending me unwanted messages.  If your message
is wanted but is being blocked because of a problem that you can fix, my
preferred outcome is for you to fix the problem on your end, so that I
don't have to fix the problem on my end.   You will need an extended status
code to have any hope of knowing what problem to fix on your end.   So it
becomes important for the NDR to include an extended status code.  I
realize that parsing an NDR to obtain useful information is difficult.

I won't be at the meeting.

Doug Foster