On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 1:34 PM Tim Wicinski <tjw.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am Ok with adding text of this nature, and I think it's helpful in
> explaining to folks approaching
> DMARC for the first time. But I start to lose focus on reading long
> introductions (okay boomer).
>
> Maybe the Intro could get a section or two to help focus it.
>
> I am glad to assist wordsmithing Doug's comments if that is useful.
>
> tim

as an individual, I don't like the wording that Doug has provided at all. I
think I understand what he's trying to say, but the text as proposed is far
more confusing than clarifying.

Further, with SPF and DKIM, it is explicit that you can treat a pass in
certain ways, but that you are to make no such determination when the
authentication method does not pass. But DMARC is explicitly about
providing policy when the auth methods do not validate in an aligned
manner. So, while we all know there are legitimate reasons such validation
might fail, this language feels out of place in DMARC because addressing
these failures is the purpose of the protocol.

As chair, if the group believes some clarification is still needed here,
that makes sense and follows from similar text in the other auth methods.
My ask would be that it provides clarity to address operational matters,
per the charter for this phase of work.

Seth

> On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 4:25 PM Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 9:55 AM John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The point of a spec is to tell people how to interpoerate.  I don't see
>>> how this
>>> contributes to that.
>>>

>> Lots of specifications include informative guidance or best practices
>> advice as well as normative specification.  DKIM has loads of it.
>>
>> -MSK

*Seth Blank * | Chief Product Officer
*e:* s...@valimail.com
*p:* 415.273.8818

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.