https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6729

Dear Murray and DMARC group,

Please comment on the following reported erratum by Scott Kitterman against RFC 7489, an independent submission.  I did not participate in the development of this RFC, and could see arguments on either side of this issue.  In particular, I don't think the author thought that spinning up a VM meets the bar for generating high quality email.  On the other hand, that bar itself may not serve a meaningful purpose.  Left to my own devices, my intent would be to mark this one "Hold for update", and will do so in the next month or so, unless given good cause not to.

Eliot

Date Reported: 2021-11-01

Section 3.2 says:

   3.  Search the public suffix list for the name that matches the
       largest number of labels found in the subject DNS domain.  Let
       that number be "x".

It should say:

   3.  Search the ICANN DOMAINS section of the public suffix list for
       the name that matches the largest number of labels found in the
       subject DNS domain.  Let that number be "x".

Notes:

The PSL includes both public and private domains. RFC 7489 should have limited name matching to the public, ICANN DOMAINS section of the PSL. As an example, using the current PSL, the organizational domain for example.s3.dualstack.ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com is example.s3.dualstack.ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com, not amazonaws.com since it is listed in the private section of the PSL. This is clearly the wrong result.