From: dmarc <dmarc-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Murray S. Kucherawy
Sent: Monday, October 3, 2022 10:03 AM
To: Todd Herr <todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org>
Cc: Douglas Foster <dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com>; IETF DMARC WG
<dmarc@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [dmarc-ietf] Aggregate Reporting - "Not Evaluated" result

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 9:03 AM Todd Herr
<todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org<mailto:40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org>>
wrote:
On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 10:34 PM Douglas Foster
<dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com<mailto:dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com>>
 wrote:
I am starting from the viewpoint that (a) reporting is a courtesy provided by
the evaluator to the domain owner, and (b) the evaluator will do so in the
context of his own interest, which includes filtering messages with maximum
possible efficiency.

It is only a courtesy if the evaluator is not interested in promoting more
widespread adoption of authentication.

For those evaluators who want to maximize adoption of authentication (because
authenticated identifiers are ones to which reputation can be reliably attached
and used in handling decisions) it is beneficial to the evaluator to provide
reports to all who solicit them, so as to ensure that the report receivers can
address shortcomings in their authentication processes.

I believe that the evaluators wanting to promote more widespread adoption of
authentication far outnumber those who don't.

(No hat.)
I think if the consensus concurs with this perspective, then this is something
the document should say explicitly (if it doesn't already).  Specifically, I
think the case is being made here that all methods SHOULD be evaluated, with no
short-circuiting, and the results of all of them need to be included in any
report that's generated, so that the report recipient doesn't get only a
partial view of what the world is seeing.

Meanwhile, there's clearly a bar someplace with regard to whether an operator
chooses to generate reports.  I'm sure they all think operators support the
idea of email authentication, but it's not clear whether they are prepared to
make the investment to do so beyond getting the filtering part of DMARC
working.  As Doug put it, it depends on "the context of his own interest".  I'm
not sure this document making a normative assertion about that part of the
question will move the needle at all.

-MSK