On Sat 22/Oct/2022 18:25:55 +0200 Dotzero wrote:
Unaligned signatures are orthogonal/irrelevant to DMARC. They may be useful in other contexts. In the DKIM standard, signatures mean that the signer is asserting some (unspecified) responsibility for the signed message. That may be useful for some reputation systems.

Somewhat skewed w.r.t. orthogonality, actually. Indirect flows are explicitly mentioned in the I-D as a reason to override DMARC dispositions:

   There MAY be an element for reason, meant to include any notes the
   reporter might want to include as to why the disposition policy does
   not match the policy_published, such as a Local Policy override
   (possible values listed in Appendix A).

ARC too is a kind of unaligned signature, albeit with a bunch of additions. The extra information it carries, designed to bestow enough trust in the chain of custody to outweigh the self-referential reliance of aligned From:, doesn't substantially change the semantic of DKIM signatures. And we should say how to report it, sooner or later.

I'm not proposing to mandate the evaluation of any evaluable item. However, I'd neither discourage it. Perhaps technology will provide us with ecological sources of energy.

Best