On March 29, 2023 9:40:39 PM UTC, Todd Herr
<todd.herr=40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>Colleagues,
>
>Can someone please point me to a mailing list server or other indirect mail
>flow that I might somehow engage with so that I can experience the pain of
>not having a message reach its destination when sent with a policy of
>p=reject?
>
>I post to various IETF mailing lists from my work address, and my employer,
>like Mr. Brotman's, publishes a DMARC record with p=reject. Thanks to the
>work of the folks who manage the IETF mailing list software, my
>participation in these discussions is not hindered in any way; I can post
>to lists, people can reply directly to me if they choose, and I can reply
>to the list and/or to the author of any post without any extra work on my
>part.
>
>This leaves me in a position where I do not appreciate how a DMARC policy
>of p=reject can harm interoperability, or perhaps better stated, I do not
>appreciate that it does harm interoperability. I understand that it can,
>because SPF can fail when mail transits intermediaries and DKIM can fail if
>the intermediary alters the content of the message. That said, I cannot
>recall seeing a bounce attributable to a DMARC failure in the three years
>that I've worked here (nor for the year or two prior when my previous
>employer deployed p=reject) and so I want to be able to send a message that
>would result in such a bounce.
>
>Can anyone help me?
>
>Thanks.

I would encourage you and anyone else who considers the current situation where
operators have had to adjust to avoid the interoperability issues associated
with DMARC to review the recent experience of the Postfix Users mailing list
migrating to adjust to this new world order.  It starts with
https://www.mail-archive.com/postfix-users@postfix.org/msg98143.html on goes on
for days in multiple threads.  "But my messages got delivered" barely begins to
address the damage to interoperability associated with mail systems doing
things that aren't aligned with the MUST NOT.

Scott K