It would not have to be an incompatible change, we could just change the
way DMARC interprets signatures:   If the "i=" term includes a local-part,
then the signature is only valid for that one From address (regardless of
the domain alignment policy).   Otherwise, the signature is valid for any
address local-part in any domain or subdomain that matches the DMARC
alignment policy.   Installations based on RFC 7489 will continue to
interpret the signature broadly.   This eliminates compatibility concerns,
while weakening the effectiveness of creating a new control for domain
owners.

My impression is that fully qualified addresses are relatively rare on DKIM
scopes used for email, so I really don't expect that a change in
interpretation would have much effect on existing mail streams.   But that
is an assumption rather than a known fact.  Perhaps we could work together
to collect some data to assess whether the change would be trivial or
significant.

As to the subdomain technique, Jesse indicates that it is used sometimes,
but transitioning can be difficult even when it is used.   More
importantly, it is not applicable to a small business that uses a mailbox
provider account, yet wants to use ConstantContact for some marketing
newsletters.  That small business does not have the option of obtaining a
Gmail subdomain.

In short, we have two groups of unhappy users, and we need to acknowledge
them both:   mailing lists and ESPs.

Doug Foster