On April 26, 2023 7:22:55 PM UTC, "Matthäus Wander"
<mail=40wander.scie...@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>Scott Kitterman wrote on 2023-04-26 21:05:
>> I think if a non-encrypted transport is used there's a privacy issue with
>> sending the report.  I think that's one approach.
>>
>> Currently we have nothing about it in any document.  I think the latest
>> revision introduced an undocumented privacy issue.  I'm less bothered about
>> how we document it than that it be documented in some manner.
>>
>> I think it's about sending a report, so the reporting document makes sense
>> as the place to document it.  I think the easiest way to do so is just put
>> the old text back, but I'm open to alternatives.
>
>Are you asking to enforce TLS on the reporter side or does opportunistic TLS
>suffice?
>
>I interpreted the requirement as: SHOULD employ a secure transport mechanism,
>*if supported by the report receiver*.

I think it would be crazy in 2023 not to use STARTTLS is offered.  Personally I
interpreted it more as employ a secure transport and think through if you
really want to be sending the report if you can't.

I think there's some room for interpretation and I think that's fine.

Scott K