Murray recently observed, correctly, that something went horribly wrong
with the DMARC rollout, because it caused (continues to cause) many safe
and wanted messages to be blocked.

My assessment was in a recent post:

Something about the language of RFC 7489 caused implementers to focus on
blocking individual messages, when the appropriate use of DMARC is to
identify and investigate potentially malicious sources.

The "message blocking" approach violates the interests of the users it is
intended to protect:

- An attacker sends 10 messages that maliciously impersonates a big bank.
With help from DMARC p=reject, the evaluator blocks them all.  The attacker
follows up with 10 messages that maliciously impersonate a major
university.   The stupid evaluator says, "p=none means no problem here".
 The message is accepted and the user is harmed because the evaluator
learned nothing from blocking the successful attack.

Consider a variant of the above:   The attacker never impersonates a big
bank with p=reject, it only impersonates big universities with p=none.
 The foolish evaluator blocks nothing because it only acts on domains with
p=reject.  Again, the user is harmed.

And we know the flip side:   Safe and wanted messages get blocked because
p=reject is enforced without investigation against mailing lists and other
traffic.

Security theory says that ANY unauthenticated message COULD be a malicious
impersonation, and worthy of investigation.   Experience says that
malicious impersonations are a small percentage of all unauthenticated
messages.  As a result, the appropriate response to an authentication
failure is to investigate, not to block.

I don't know exactly how to communicate the difference between message
blocking and sender investigation in DMARCbis, but I sure hope that we will
try.

Doug Foster