Dne 21. 7. 2023 v 16:34 Murray S. Kucherawy napsal(a):
On Wed, Jul 19, 2023 at 6:31 PM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't take DMARC as a certain result to be used in isolation, but
clearly a quorum evaluators do, and hence the mailing list problem that has
caused such consternation.

If we want to diminish their numbers, we have to communicate very
differently than RFC 7489.

My problem with your favorite line is that the domain owner's preference
is of no interest to my filtering decision, but the DMARC result is.

Since even before SPF, people have been looking for a silver bullet to stop
spam and phishing.  I'm not surprised to hear that there are products out
there that promise or implement such, despite the specifications not
actually saying this is a good idea, or even (in DKIM's case, I believe)
being rather explicit that it isn't.

I don't think anyone is disputing that the DMARC result by itself is not a
clear answer about what one should do upon receiving a message.  The only
time you really know something is when DMARC passes, but even that isn't a
strong signal about the content of the message.  All other answers are
muddy, and should be treated that way.  If DMARCbis needs to make this more
explicit, I don't see a problem with doing so.

I think a DMARC-aware product that's reject-on-fail by default has made a
questionable choice, and not making that configurable is doubly so.

However, I don't think an evaluator should be looking at the "p=" value and
then trying to infer anything about the sending domain solely from that.
This, to me, is crystal ball territory.  We should omit it from our
calculus.

-MSK, participating

Although SPF, DKIM, DMARC, and ARC are all intended to protect against SPAM, it is not possible, as a matter of principle, to protect against such kind of communications. They will only allow, to a certain extent, protection against fake emails. But SPAM is junk mail, which includes official, albeit unsolicited, communications from organizations that meet the requirements of the technology. It is unethical, but technically acceptable. Moreover, the assessment of junk mail is highly subjective, for the reason I prefer the term accepted censorship. Because censorship is an intervention that, as a rule, cannot be influenced by the user. For the reason given, it is not possible to protect against SPAM in its entirety. These technologies only allow protection against fake mail. This leads me to the next step, which you may not agree with. If this technology serves to protect against mail being counterfeited, it can be argued, with a degree of simplification, that it provides some form of brand protection. And the methods of brand protection, including the hardness of the methods used, should be decided by the owner. And the enforcement of those rules should be ensured by the administrator. Am I thinking correctly?

Regards

Jan