On August 4, 2023 4:15:35 PM UTC, Wei Chuang
<weihaw=40google....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:
>I noted at the DMARC session -117, that with the p=reject downgrade to
>quarantine language, this increases the risk of SPF upgrade attacks due to
>forwarding.  The reply was to propose language for this and below is the
>suggested text for the proposed "11.9 Quarantined Forwarded Mail Security
>Risk"
>
>=====
>
>11.9 Quarantined Forwarded Mail Security Risk
>
>When receivers apply the "MUST NOT reject" in Section 8.6 to accept
>unauthenticated messages as quarantined messages, receivers SHOULD
>carefully review how they forward mail traffic to prevent additional
>security risk.  That is, this downgrade can enable spoofed messages that
>are SPF DMARC authenticated with a fraudulent From identity despite having
>an associated strong DMARC policy of "p=reject".  A malicious sender needs
>two properties to perform such a SPF upgrade attack: 1) a receiver that
>will forward quarantined messages, and 2) the spammer finds a SPF policy
>that covers the forwarding IPs.  Such a sender crafts a message with From
>header assuming the identity of the domain with the SPF policy and matching
>MAIL FROM.  Consequently the receiver evaluates message authentication and
>finds that the MAIL FROM does not authenticate but does not reject the
>message and instead quarantines it.  Vulnerable receivers then forward the
>message to some subsequent receiver with the message taking the
>authenticated identity of the From header.  That forwarding may be under
>control of the malicious sender perhaps via auto-forwarding or enterprise
>policy.  Receivers SHOULD consider restricting forwarding when the message
>is SPF unauthenticated.  SPF upgrade attack and other considerations are
>discussed further in Liu et. al. [1].
>
>[1] Liu, Enze et al. "Forward Pass: On the Security Implications of Email
>Forwarding Mechanism and Policy", Proceedings of the 8th IEEE European
>Symposium on Security and Privacy, 2023.

I think I understand what you are saying here and I agree it's worth
documenting, but I have a few suggestions:

1.  I would reword it not to have RFC 2119 keywords in it.  As I understand it,
these keywords are supposed to be for technical protocol elements, not things
people do like "SHOULD consider".

2.  I would rewrite it not to use the terms upgrade and downgrade.  I think the
usage is confusing here.

Finally, I don't think this is particularly unique to SPF.  If you replace
"finds a SPF policy that covers the forwarding IPs" with something like finds a
third party willing to sign the message, I expect I could construct a similar
(if not quite as easy) DKIM based scenario.

Scott K