My unsuccessful attempt to implement to the specification has reminded me
of my past concerns.

Our document gives primacy to the Tree Walk, as if it will be used on every
>From domain, SPF domain, and DKIM domain.   The Tree Walk algorithm is
explained in detail before any discussion of how it is used, and the
differences between the From walk and the SPF/DKIM walks have been
ignored.  I find that this makes the document harder to follow and less
usable.

The reality is that the Tree Walk is an inefficient and unreliable way of
obtaining an answer, particularly because of the risk of DNS timeouts.   As
a result, the Tree Walk should be avoided whenever possible.   In fact, the
secondary tree walks for SPF and DKIM can frequently be avoided:

   - When strict alignment is required.
   - When the SPF/DKIM domain is not verified.
   - When the SPF/DKIM domain matches the From domain.
   - When the SPF/DKIM domain is a parent of the From domain.
   - When a string comparison shows that the SPF/DKIM domain is not a child
   of the organizational domain

For many messages, these optimizations will mean that no secondary tree
walk will be needed at all.   In the event that multiple secondary tree
walks are required, additional efficiencies can be gained by prioritizing
which signature domain is walked first.

The Tree Walk is an important tool for deprecating the PSL.   But the
oversimplification of its discussion has prevented any substantive
consideration of either the differences between the two types of Tree Walk
or the available optimizations to avoid performance problems.

Doug Foster