"Explaining how DNS works is out of scope."

Scott is right.

Also, some folks point use something other than CNAME

$  dig +noall +answer _dmarc.valimail.com ns
_dmarc.valimail.com. 300 IN NS ns.vali.email.

tjw@m2[1098]:  dig +noall +answer _dmarc.valimail.com txt
_dmarc.valimail.com. 595 IN TXT "v=DMARC1; p=reject; rua=mailto:
dmarc_agg@vali.email,mailto:dmarc.repo...@valimail.com";