Alessandro Vesely wrote on 2024-03-26 19:30:
No.  To take several years and come up with a syntax which does not cover all valid addresses is a sign of incompetence that this WG doesn't deserve, IMHO. What do others think?

Let's rather switch to /[0-9a-fA-F.:]+/.  Terse and correct.

I'm in favor of a brief and coarse regex, which is suitable for detecting obvious junk. The above proposal looks good enough to me. I wouldn't mind adding an outer bounds check, e.g.: [0-9a-fA-F.:]{3,45}

If an implementer sees merit in a comprehensive syntax check, they can add one to their software.

Regards,
Matt