On Sun 31/Mar/2024 22:33:10 +0200 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 9:32 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
On Sun 31/Mar/2024 14:22:04 +0200 Douglas Foster wrote:
On SPF, our document should say simply,
" a DMARC-compliant evaluator MUST NOT reject a message, based on SPF result, prior to receiving the Data section and checking for aligned and verifiable signatures."

Nonsense. Rejecting at RCPT TO is much quicker than waiting for the whole message. People who publish -all know what they do.

Of course it is, but it prevents DKIM signatures from being tested, and hence DMARC from being evaluated. Maybe that's what you want, but maybe it's not what everyone wants.

I agree there may be people who inadvertently set -all and would be better off changing it to ~all. However, by claiming Best Practice, we'd be scaring those who want -all for good reasons.

I also reject based on RBLs and private IP lists; does that affect DMARC compliance?

I might argue that you can't possibly claim DMARC compliance if you're not even getting far enough to execute its algorithm.

I'd say I comply /when/ I execute its algorithm.

Best