On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 6:37 PM Seth Blank <seth=
40valimail....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> "It is therefore critical that domains that host users who might post
> messages to mailing lists SHOULD NOT publish p=reject."
>
> [...]
>
> More accurate language that alleviates the concern would be "It is
> therefore critical that domains that host users who wish for their messages
> to be modified and spoofed by downstream intermediaries, such as alumni
> forwarders or mailing lists, SHOULD NOT publish p=reject. Such spoofed
> messages may still be rejected, regardless of a domain owner's published
> DMARC policy."

I must be missing something as this to me reads as a difference without a
distinction.  That's probably because I assume that the set of mailing
lists that modify messages is a very large subset of all mailing lists, but
they are a priori indistinguishable.

Put another way: As a domain owner with users that may or may not choose to
participate in mailing lists, I don't know what I would do with the added
text.  It seems to be telling me to get to know the configurations of the
lists to which my users might want to subscribe.  If I have only a handful
of users, that's possibly manageable.  If I'm Gmail-sized, not so much.

When it comes to the Charter, the document is supposed to articulate how to
> address indirect mail flow, and this would be the place. Therefore, I
> believe it is also worthwhile in this section to reference both ARC, as
> well as other mechanisms that such breaking intermediaries that create new
> messages (and therefore spoof the sender) could undertake, such as From
> rewriting to properly claim ownership of the message, or not making changes
> to the message that invalidate DKIM.

If ARC is intended to be part or all of the answer to how the list problem
is solved, and evidence exists that it does mitigate the damage, then I
think that's a strong argument for saying so in the document.  Do we have
such interoperability experience, especially with respect to lists?

-MSK, p11g