On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 10:06 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> On Thu 20/Jun/2024 18:24:30 +0200 Todd Herr wrote:
> > Second question...
> >
> > Both RFC 7489 and DMARCbis describe the 'd' and 's' values as requesting
> the
> > generation of a DKIM failure report (RFC 6651) or SPF failure report
> (RFC
> > 6652). Is that what we want, or should it be a report in the format
> defined
> > in draft-ietf-dmarc-failure-reporting?
>

> I think RFC 7489's usage of the terms DKIM and SPF in that context is a
> typo.
> It meant to say, e.g., "Generate a DMARK failure report with DKIM
> characteristics if..." rather than "Generate a DKIM failure report
> if...".  In
> fact, Section 7.3.1 extends AFRF in two flavors, dkim and spf.  They both
> have
> type "dmarc".

I'm not sure that I agree with your assertion here. I'd be more inclined to
think you correct if the text in 7489 didn't explicitly reference RFCs 6651
and 6652:

      d: Generate a DKIM failure report if the message had a signature
         that failed evaluation, regardless of its alignment.  DKIM-
         specific reporting is described in [AFRF-DKIM
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#ref-AFRF-DKIM>].

      s: Generate an SPF failure report if the message failed SPF
         evaluation, regardless of its alignment.  SPF-specific
         reporting is described in [AFRF-SPF
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#ref-AFRF-SPF>].

If it was an error on the part of the authors of 7489 to describe 'd' and
's' in this way, it's on a scale that's much larger than just a typo.

> The last paragraph in that section explicitly says:
>

>     3.  Authentication Failure Type "dmarc" is defined, which is to be
>         used when a failure report is generated because some or all of
>         the authentication mechanisms failed to produce aligned
>         identifiers.  [...]
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7489#section-7.3.1
>
> That seems to say that fo= is meant to identify under what conditions a
> "dmarc"
> failure report is generated, not what Type of failure report is generated.
>
> Best
> Ale
> --

Todd Herr | Technical Director, Standards & Ecosystem
Email: todd.h...@valimail.com
Phone: 703-220-4153

This email and all data transmitted with it contains confidential and/or
proprietary information intended solely for the use of individual(s)
authorized to receive it. If you are not an intended and authorized
recipient you are hereby notified of any use, disclosure, copying or
distribution of the information included in this transmission is prohibited
and may be unlawful. Please immediately notify the sender by replying to
this email and then delete it from your system.