Hi Jouni, all,

to complement what has been written already, I think once we agreed on a
framework it helps doing a comprehensive gap analysis. Based on a common
understanding of how DMM scenarios work, the framework defines functions
that can add to a basic set of assumed mobility/tunnel management functions.
If a certain mobility protocol supports one or more DMM function intrinsically,
fine. If not, the available protocol may be extended to enable that function. Or
an external protocol can be considered to provide that functionality.

My impression from past DMM meetings is that there is a common understanding
of DMM in general, but folks still have different expectation from DMM support
and
associated IP address continuity. Also assumptions on hosts are different (e.g.
multi-anchor
capability, maintenance of associated uplink routes, etc.).

A framework could classify DMM functions as mandatory or optional, dependent
on the target scenario and level of path optimization that should be supported.
Some functions according to draft-liebsch-dmm-framework-analysis could be
placed even on the host to see if host mobility protocols can contribute to DMM
operation.

I see the framework as required portion of the top-down gap analysis and design
approach. Last but not least it allows building a DMM architecture and
deployment of
associated protocols beyond mobility protocol scope, e.g. by contributions from
the routing plane
above mobility anchor level. I understand that the DMM WG may focus mainly on
mobility protocols
first, but the framework can document DMM solutions in a broader scope, which
may attract
readers beyond the DMM WG.

marco