Hi Danny,

>From your cases specified as follows;

"I am thinking of two places that might require an update:

1.       When an application chooses not to specify a source address (but
request a specific type)

2.       When an application wishes to choose the source address from a
provided list.

"

I don't understand the meaning of the second case. Why should an application
wish to choose a source address from a list? What I have talked about was
about allowing the default source address selection rules, which will be
determined in the IP stack when an application is initiated with the
destination address. I think we don't need to touch it.

The point is an application will totally assign the default source address
selection mechanism based on only type request but with no preference, or
will request with the preference of a new Sustained IP address as well as
type request. In the former case, if there is one or multiple Sustained IP
addresses, the IP stack will try to pick up one. Or the IP stack will try to
get a new one. In the latter case, the IP stack will consider a newly
obtained Sustained IP address all the time, if the requested preference
value is not less than other preferences defined in the default source
address selection rules.

The need of the proposed flag and main criteria to be considered were
already covered with case studies in the draft.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sijeon-dmm-use-cases-api-source-00

So, for productive discussion, I would like to suggest that you check our
draft again please and bring your questions if there is something weird or
should be updated with additional cases.

Best Regards,

Seil Jeon

Now I understand the need for the flag you are proposing !!!

We need to take a better look at RFC 6724 and figure out if we need to
update it.

I am thinking of two places that might require an update:

1.       When an application chooses not to specify a source address (but
request a specific type)

2.       When an application wishes to choose the source address from a
provided list.

When the application indicates the desired address type, but chooses not to
specify the source address (from a list provided by the IP stack), the stack
should allocate a source IP address according to the address-type requested
by the application. In this case, we should consider adding text to describe
the behavior for Sustained IP addresses. Specifically, if there are several
Sustained IP addresses allocated to the mobile host, whether to choose one
of them, or to have the mobile host request a new one from the network (as a
result of a mobility event - for example).

When an application wishes to chooses the source address from the available
list (obtained by getaddrinfo()), there are some alternative approaches we
should consider:

1.       Enhance getaddrinfo() enabling the application to specify the
required address type, and return the list of source addresses that are of
that type (Nomadic, Sustained, Fixed or DontCare), or -

2.       Provide the list of addresses with an indication of their type
(Nomadic, Sustained, Fixed or TypeUnknown) and an indication of whether each
address is New (allocated after the last handoff event) or Old (allocated
before the last handoff event)

3.       Some other approach.

The flag is need here, to enable the application to request a new IP address
(if the returned list only contain 'Old' addresses) !!!

I agree that we should discuss this. How about bringing it to the next
'Mobility Exposure and Selection WT' call?

Regards,

                /Danny