Hi Lyle,

thanks for your position and good comments to the current version of the draft.
First of all, the draft is not complete and for sure needs feedback on required
control. So, your proposal is more than welcome.

My understanding of your comment is that you’re looking for control on a rule,
that
filters traffic. The current spec comprises traffic descriptors, and
properties, that
apply to the described traffic.

I can imagine two types of filters:
(1) One is a default filter, which applies to all traffic that does not match
any of
the descriptions. An associated property can be drop, or forward to a particular
IP address as next hop.

(2) Another is that traffic, to which the filter applies, is explicitly
described using the
traffic descriptors.

Both require minor extensions of the spec’s attributes list. It would require a
traffic descriptor
which applies to all other traffic for which no properties have been configured.
Also, additional properties may be needed to configure what to do with the
filtered traffic.

Such filtering can be implicit and enforced by Data-Plane device management.
Or: If we want the Control-Plane to enforce dynamic configuration to filter
particular
traffic and control what to do with the filtered traffic, then we can add the
associated attributes.

I hope that addresses your comments 1 and 2. About comment 3: We added the
traffic selector
to have means to describe IP data traffic more accurate, not only per
aggregated or per-host IP addresses.
That does not mean all fields in the Traffic selector, such as the SPI, need to
be used.

But that makes me actually aware of the need of additional traffic descriptors,
which identify traffic on a GRE key or a GTP TEID.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Marco