From: Charlie Perkins [mailto:charles.perk...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2018 11:11 PM
To: Bertz, Lyle T [CTO] <lyle.t.be...@sprint.com>
Cc: Marco Liebsch <marco.lieb...@neclab.eu>; Satoru Matsushima
<satoru.matsush...@gmail.com>; Sri Gundavelli (sgundave) <sgund...@cisco.com>;
Moses, Danny <danny.mo...@intel.com>; Weaver, Farni [CTO]
<farni.wea...@sprint.com>; Matsushima Satoru
<satoru.matsush...@g.softbank.co.jp>
Subject: Indexed sets

Hello folks,

Here is some relevant text I developed to explain this concept.  It was mostly
present in the previous document I sent out last week. Below, I have some
follow-up questions regarding the concept.

>    To encourage re-use, the YANG models define indexed sets of various
>    types of entities.  To access such an model entity, other model
>    elements contain an attribute which is typically denoted as
> "entity-
>    Id".  When such an attribute is encountered, the referencing model
>    element will indicate how to supply any needed values so that the
>    entity model will be fully defined when used in any instance of the
>    referencing model element.  For example: Figure 4 shows 2 entities:
>
>       EntityA definition references entityB model elements.
>
>       EntityB model elements are in a set indexed by entity-Id.
>
>    Each EntityB model element has an Id which allows it to be uniquely
>    identified, and a Type which specifies its form, allowing for
>    creation of an instance by inserting entityB-Values as indicated.
>                          .
>                          .
>                          +-[entityA]
>                          |      +-[entityB-Id]
>                          |      +-[entityB-Values]
>                          .
>                          .
>                          +-[entityB] <Set>
>                          |      +-[entityB-Id] <L-Key> (M)
>                          |      +-[entityB-Type]
>                          .
>                          .
>
>                     Figure 4: Indexed sets of entities
>
>    Indexed sets are specified for the following kinds of entities:
>
>       Domains
>       DPNs
>       Policies
>       Descriptors
>       Actions
>       Interface Groups

According to this, for example with "DPN", we would have a DPN-Id that allows
one to locate the DPN (i.e., find what had been previously called a
DPN-reference).  With that in mind, I put in the following lines in the DPN
structure:

>         +-[DPN] <Set>
>         |     +-[DPN-Id] <G-Key>, <Name> (O)

But this isn't really correct.  As I read it, the structure would mean that
there is a thing called a "DPN-Id Key", and another thing called a "DPN-ID
Name".  What we really want is a DPN-Key and a DPN-Name.

That could be specified more simply as follows:

>         +-[DPN] <G-Key>, <Name> (O) <Set>

If we could use this to mean that there are attributes denoted "DPN-Key"
and "DPN-Name", then we have a natural and understandable structure. These
attributes would apply to the *elements* of the DPN Set, not the DPN-Set
itself.  In this case, I would rewrite the relevant parts of the document to
replace instances of "DPN-Id" to instead use "DPN-Key".  And similarly for
other indexed sets.

I hope you will agree, so that we can get to unambiguous language for
describing this important concept without the currently existing redundancy.

Somewhat less important, but still of interest:

In the example above, there seems to be an implicitly described entity called a
"DPN-Set" which is a set of DPNs.  In the text, when we need to refer to the
set of DPNs, I propose that we use exactly the naming convention that it is
called "DPN-Set".  That would be slightly but significantly different than "a
set of DPNs", and if you approve, the nomenclaure "DPN Set" (i.e., lacking the
'-') should probably not be used.

Regards,
Charlie P.