More inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Perkins [mailto:charles.perk...@earthlink.net]
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 2:27 PM
To: Bertz, Lyle T [CTO] <lyle.t.be...@sprint.com>
Cc: dmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DMM] Parent versus child mobility context

Hello Lyle,

More follow-up inline.  We're getting closer.

On 1/22/2018 11:27 AM, Bertz, Lyle T [CTO] wrote:

> Hello Lyle and all,
>
> I think I agree with most of what you say below.  I'm concerned with how to
> organize the information in the model.  So, for that purpose, please verify
> whether my following understandings are correct.
>
> - The mobility context resides on a DPN.
>
> - The mobility context provides necessary information (e.g., QoS) for a
> single mobile node.
>
> - The DPN uses it to manage data-plane traffic for that mobile node.
>
>>> This may be too broad of a view. What about a mobile node with
>>> multiple mobility sessions? In such a case it may be managing one or
>>> more (but not necessarily all of) the mobile node's mobility
>>> sessions

Yes.  This is why I did not put "all" between "manage" and "data-plane".

LB > Ok.  We should probably be more explicit though for the casual observer if
this language is used in the specification.

> In my earlier email on this subject, I was using Mobility Context as
> describing something more associated with a mobile node, than with a
> particular flow.  If you want it to mean "bearer", then we ought to call it a
> Bearer.
>
> Maybe it would be easier to understand if we had something called a
> "Mobile-Node Context", and in that context we had a set of Bearer Contexts
> (or, just Bearers).  Each bearer would inherit from the Mobile Node context
> simply by being part of it.  The Mobile Node context (serving as "parent")
> would determine max bandwidth, IP address, etc. Back in the old days, we also
> defined security aspects and some other factors, as part of what FPC would
> call the "mobility context".
>
>>> We have several concepts that have hierarchy, e.g. Service Level (sr-id or
>>> APN - apn-oi if I recall), device level, Mobility Session, bearers, flow
>>> based filters (effectively living within a bearer).

There isn't anything about Service Level in the first part of the document, and
I did not find anything about Service-ID that referenced mobility context.
Mobility Context does not define Service Level. Similarly for APN.  The string
"-oi" does not occur in the document.

Device level is a mystery to me.

Now, this isn't to say that your comment is irrelevant.  But, at minimum, the
relevance is not spelled out in the current document.
LB> Ack.  They are not mentioned these in the documents; I was merely providing
examples.

>>>     We also have the 5G concepts as well.

We have, in fact, an infinitude of mutually contradictory 5G concepts.
I might suggest that they look at Mobile IP, which was designed exactly
to provide high-speed, low-latency, application-independent mobility
management.  But, I digress.
LB> I am in agreement here but I believe that as Release 15 is finalized in
3GPP we will see clarity.  My question would be if other next generation
standards / technologies follow so that we have a tractable problem space but I
too, digress.

>>>    The one thing that is obvious is that the idea of hierarchy applies
>>> whether it is pacers/shapers, bearers or filters that apply some charging /
>>> gating / marking.  A light touch of lifecycle (fate sharing) amongst the
>>> hierarchy,  data does not need to be repeated within the hierarchy and
>>> building the data structure by requiring a parent id if it was a child
>>> (implying the parent must exist!) was the best we could do without
>>> necessarily making decisions that may appear to preclude a specific set of
>>> mobile network technologies.

We certainly agree on the existence of hierarchy pervading our problem
space.  And on the need to consider fate-sharing for between mobile-node
authorizations and allocated bearers.  But my suggested approach of
having the Bearers delineated under an inclusive Mobility Context
provides for that in a natural way.  Perhaps the word "bearer" shows too
much bias towards 3GPP, in which case we could simply use "mobility
session" or "flow".
LB> Ack.  I think I would object to the use of Bearer.   Flow(s) may be too
granular.  Maybe a verbal delineation between a Flows-Context (implying 1 or
more) and some other concept such as Session-Context (old terminology) or
Mobility-Context.    imo though it may be more beneficial to state it as a
context type and imply some hierarchy?

============ end of my follow-up for this email ===================

Regards,
Charlie P.