On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 8:44 AM, Pablo Camarillo (pcamaril)
<pcama...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Isn't the IPv6 flow label designed exactly to avoid that?

Yes, that is supposed to handle ECMP. There are might be other
optimizations of packets for UDP and TCP that could be lost in IP/IP
encapsulation.

> Are you suggesting to use UDP to avoid using the flow label?

No, I would much prefer that flow label is used for ECMP and
intermediate nodes stop doing DPI. Problem is that there's been
resistence from some operators to enabling the flow label for ECMP
since it might not be persistent for a flow, this can wreak havoc in
deployments that maintain state in the network of need consistent
hashing for load balancing. Discussion on this issue occasionally pops
up on 6man list.

Tom