On 15/04/15 05:20, Jude Nelson wrote:
Hi Anto,

Don't you want to know my setup?

Yes, eventually :) Â However, I don't want to waste your time either, at least until I am more confident that the vdev installation process works correctly.

    Maybe there are some packages required by your vdev, but I don't
    have them installed on my PC. Or maybe the kernel 3.18.10 that I
    use require different treatment, so I need to use different kernel
    version to test your vdev. I think knowing that could help you
    troubleshoot the problem. I am really not sure the requirements to
    properly test your vdev at this stage. So perhaps having the same
    setup as your development environment could avoid any unnecessary
    issues.

Well, there is one thing, if you're not too busy and it's not too inconvenient for you. Vdev logs its early boot messages to /run/vdev/vdevd.boot.log. If you could capture that file and send it to me, that would not only help me understand your setup, but also why vdev is misbehaving.

Better yet, from the initramfs shell, if you could run "vdevd -v2 -f -c /etc/vdev/vdevd.conf --once /dev > /tmp/vdev-debugging.log" and send me the contents of /tmp/vdev-debugging.log, that will not only populate /dev (assuming vdevd works correctly on that invocation), but also generate a lot of extra debugging information in /tmp/vdev-debugging.log that would help me diagnose the problem.

No worries if you're too busy or have better things to do, though :)

Thanks again,
Jude

Hello Jude,

Let's just say that I am doing this egoistically all for myself. :) So I will devote my time to test your vdev as much as I can.

Unfortunately, I cannot get the debugging log that you are after. Using kernel 3.18.10 and 3.18.11, the keyboard was not being detected after it got to the (initramfs) prompt, so I could not type anything. I managed to execute the debugging command using kernel 3.2.0, but it didn't seem to write the log to the /tmp directory. I think that is due the disk was not detected. I could only capture the last messages using the camera of my old mobile phone, so the quality is not good. Please have a look on https://minifora.eu/public/devuan/vdev/vdev_debugging_15Apr15_3.jpg.

I am not sure if this would be relevant. I am using file-rc instead of sysv-rc, so I didn't actually have any /etc/rc?.d directories. After the installation of the "example", /etc/rcS.d directory and S02vdev link under it got created. It could possibly be a problem later on, but I think I will worry about that (add it into /etc/runlevel.conf) after the boot process can reach it.

Cheers,

Anto