On 18/06/15 17:37, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 05:26:28PM +0200, Anto wrote:

Hello Steve,

I don't think we can leave sysvinit as it is now if we want to treat
it the same as other inits. I think we need to remove sysvinit
specific files from all daemon packages, otherwise they will pull
sysvinit specific files as well when we install them under other
inits.
But that's wxactly what we would want if, as proposed in this
discussion somewhere, we are to automate creation of init scripts for
another init script by reading the sysv-init scripts.  It has even been
proposed using systemd init scripts for this purpose!

-- hendrik

Yes. Perhaps that is what you and some people want. But that is not what I want from the beginning as I want to have a distro that supports some init systems but they should be independent to each other. I think that is only achievable if sysvinit is being treated the same as other inits, not that other inits depend on sysvinit. In the case of epoch, *I think* it can not even use init script provided by daemons package for sysvinit as epoch needs to have direct control over the daemons. I could not get confirmation from epoch maintainer about this though. But who am I to demand that to be implemented in Devuan?